With the recent announcement of Superintendent Dr. Mark Hatchell’s upcoming retirement, the Academy District 20 Board of Education (BOE) is conducting a search for the district’s ninth superintendent.
The BOE started planning the superintendent search during late fall 2018 and contracted the services of Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates (HYA), a search firm specializing in assisting boards with the identification and selection of candidates.
Superintendent Search Milestones
- Community-wide survey to develop a Superintendent Leadership Profile: Jan. 10 – 31, 2019.
- Staff and community member focus groups: Jan. 28 – 31, 2019
- Leadership Profile presented to BOE: Feb. 7, 2019
- Candidate interviews with BOE: March 5 – 7, 2019
- Semi-finalist interviews with BOE: March 11 – 13, 2019
- Announcement of new Superintendent: April 18, 2019
- Superintendent officially assumes position: July 1, 2019
Staff and Community Input
To create a comprehensive Superintendent Leadership Profile that identifies the qualities and characteristics desired for the district’s next superintendent, HYA held numerous interviews, focus groups and forums for district staff, families and community members.
Staff and Community Input Findings
- Leadership Profile Report (PDF, PowerPoint)
- Superintendent Desired Characteristics (PDF)
- Online Survey Results (PDF)
Fees associated with an executive search of this magnitude will cost approximately $45,000, not including direct expenses.
Applying for the Position
Applicants interested in becoming the next Academy District 20 Superintendent should apply online