Crisis intervention can occur on an individual basis, as well as, a whole-building or district level. With individuals, Mental Health staff are trained to recognize and intervene on behalf of students who may be experiencing a mental health crisis. When a crisis occurs within the community or impacts an entire school, Academy School District 20 has a team of trained staff (Mental Health, School Resource Officers, District Security, and Administrators) who respond to schools to provide support for students, families, and staff.
The Columbia Suicide Severity Rating Scale (C-SSRS) is a questionnaire used for suicide assessment that was designed to quantify the severity of suicidal ideation and behavior. All mental health staff in ASD20 are offered training annually in the use of the C-SSRS. The C-SSRS is an evidence-based tool recommended by the Colorado Office of Suicide Prevention which allows mental health staff to communicate effectively with parents and community mental health providers about level of care needed to support a student experiencing a mental health crisis.
What school counselors do
School counselors collaborate with and provide services to students, parents, school staff, and the community.
- Direct, in-person interactions with students through classroom curriculum and group activities
- Individual planning sessions to assist students to meet specific needs and goals
- Responsive services to address students' immediate needs and concerns.
Our school counselors do not provide therapy for students but can provide resources for families looking for private counselors or therapists.
School counselors help plan and schedule student classes, and coordinate support services to help ensure students have appropriate access to education.
School Counselors may also answer questions regarding:
- Student social and emotional development
- Student Schedules
- Graduation Requirements/Progress
- 4-Year High School and Career Planning
- 504 Plan Process and Eligibility
- Suicide Risk Assessment
- Confidentiality and Professionalism
- Coordination of support services